About Västerbotten Experience
Västerbotten Experience is an initiative through which companies work together for more sustainable nature and cultural experiences in Västerbotten.
Businesses in the hospitality and tourism industry in Västerbotten are working to create positive effects for the economy, the environment and social areas. This is accomplished by ensuring that the needs of visitors, companies, the environment and community serve as a starting point. Both present day needs and future needs.
How can we offer our guests the very best of Västerbotten?
This was the question that eventually led to the Västerbotten Experience (VX) initiative.
Västerbotten Experience guides the way to more sustainable nature and cultural experiences. Companies that receive the VX seal aim to serve as role models in environmental considerations, climate-smart solutions, and local responsibility.
Their way of working creates experiences that allow guests to take part in everything unique about Västerbotten.
GSTC – a method for true sustainability
Västerbotten’s regional tourism organisation, Region Västerbotten Tourism (RVT), is tasked with promoting sustainable development for the county’s hospitality industry.
RVT has developed a work method based on sustainability criteria set forth by the Global Sustainable Tourism Councils (GSTC).
Global Sustainable Tourism Council (GSTC). GSTC is a global council established by the United Nations in order to develop and manage global standards for sustainable tourism. The sustainability criteria comprise four pillars: effective sustainability planning, maximum social and economic benefits for the local community, promoting cultural heritage, and reducing environmental impact..
The work method developed by RVT means that GSTC’s sustainability criteria can be used to strengthen the work of companies as well as destinations. Using the criteria, the sustainability work of operators is analysed, necessary changes are identified, and an action plan is drafted.
The aim is to provide even better experiences, to showcase the best Västerbotten has to offer, and to foster a sense of pride in our nature and cultural experiences. We call it Västerbotten Experience (VX) and we have designed a seal that will guide visitors to these experiences. The seal indicates that the bearer actively works towards sustainable development.
Västerbotten Experience is based on a true story.
A VX company commits to working towards a more sustainable tourism industry by, among other things:
- Having a long-term sustainability policy adapted to the company’s conditions.
- Having a written environmental plan that includes reasonable measures to conserve resources, reduce emissions and protect biodiversity.
- Prioritising local suppliers, organic and fair trade products and raw materials when procuring goods and services.
- Having procedures in place for marketing and cooperating with local residents to counteract adverse impact on cultural heritage, living culture and historically vulnerable environments.
- Protecting biodiversity and complying with regulations pertaining to protected areas and biodiversity protection in their area of operations.
- Using local raw materials and food products to benefit food producers, agriculture, reindeer husbandry, fishing, etc.
- Taking into account, when planning and implementing measures, the extent and type of tourism an area can cope with. Taking into account local residents’ privacy and quality of life in the area.
- Ensuring accessibility for people with special needs, wherever relevant and reasonable, and providing information about this.
- Ensuring that none of the products provided throughout a visitor’s stay contributes to the spread of infection. This refers to every stage during transport, activities, meals and overnight accommodation. An infection control policy is in place and clearly communicated.
– based on a true story
When visiting a place, you want to get
a real sense of it.
You want to experience the authentic culture and the freedom in nature. And you want to experience as much of this as possible during a single visit.
Then you should keep an eye out for Västerbotten Experience. It is a seal of quality for the authentic: from accommodation and food to activities.
Your Västerbotten Experience is based on sustainability. And is always characterised by Västerbotten’s lifestyle and hospitality.
In other words, it is based on a true story.